X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Android (4.x) USB MTP file transfer support for eOS

This will allow you to connect your Android 4.x device that only supports MTP USB Transfer mode. Some manufacturers or custom ROMS (CyanogenMod, etc / if you don't know what that is don't worry) have support for USB Mass Storage mode, so if your smartphone or tablet allows you to do so, then ignore MTP. But for some users, like the ones that use a Nexus smartphone/tablet, but not only, there is no Mass Storage option. As I understand there is better support coming in the future realeses of ubuntu starting with 13.04+. As eOS is based on 12.04 LTS, there was no way to backport this support. Now thanks to someone named Philip Langdale we have this privilege. You don't have to mess with ftp or airdroid or kies or any other program.

https://launchpad.net/~langdalepl/+archive/gvfs-mtp
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:langdalepl/gvfs-mtp
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-updgrade
    or
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gvfs
    There you will see that gvfs will get updated (i don't know why the first method is recommended, if there is something else that gets updated). Then reboot. Now UNLOCK (pin or pattern or password) your device and connect the usb cable, it should appear unmouted. If you don't UNLOCK then due to a little bug I think you won't be able to see anything/mount.

If you want to undo this upgrade
    Code:
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:langdalepl/gvfs-mtp
    Tested on:
    - Nexus 4
    - Nexus 7 (2012, old model)

Please comment if you get this working on a different device and I will update the "database of working smartphones/tablets".
    Last edited by enr00ted; 21-09-2013, 16:24.

I have yet to connect my android phone, nook, and android tablet to eOS. I will get onto this once Im done with work and see if I can get this working.

Comment

It works pretty well for me, but I think there is room for better.

Comment

It works but sometimes it can be buggy and disconnect from phone. Thanks for tutorial @enr00ted

Comment

Tried it out and it seemed to work ok for me

Comment

Working...
          X